Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Voting Advice....

Allow me to take you back to a year I like to call "A Season in Hell". It was 2004 and from about August on, conversations were all a-buzz about such topics as gay marriage and abortion. I know alot of people that submitted to this "Religious Blackmail" and actually voted for the candidate that they thought would - and I quote - "keep this nation under God". Funny thing is, we have never heard another word about either of these issues from said candidate. If you continue to be what I call a "single issue voter", they will manipulate you everytime. They are going to get you fired up about these subjects again this year and then they are going to "let the states handle it" after the election. Please believe me when I say that there are other issues, issues that are actually going to have an impact on your everyday life. Watch the news or pick up a newspaper.

Now for my personal opinion - this is my blog, I can say whatever I want!! Gay marriage is a civil rights issue. I have 3 children and if one of them is gay, I think that they deserve the same opportunities as the other kids in their personal pursuit of happiness. And I would be damned if I would spend 30 years building a life with someone only to have them go into a coma and their family treat me like a disease and the hospital tell me I had no right to be there or have anything to do with the decisions being made. They are called CIVIL RIGHTS people!! Look it up. As for abortion, I am Pro-Choice. That does not mean that I, or anyone else that holds this position, am Pro-Abortion. Let me simply state that I am Pro-Woman. I will not support a government that wants to amend the constitution to ban abortion. Teenage girls should not be forced to live in a world where they have to commit suicide because they are too ashamed to tell their family that they are pregnant or even worse, go to some back street sicko with a dirty butcher knife, only to bleed to death after they sneak back into their bed. A constitutional banning of abortion would make rape and incest victims have to go through a legal process to obtain an abortion... WTF?? Are you kidding me? I agree that the number of unwanted pregnancies in this country is an issue that needs to be dealt with but amending my constitution is not the way. Let's assume that your seventeen year old daughter gets pregnant and collectively as a family you decide she is going to keep the baby and marry the seventeen year old father - does this make your daughter's life better or does it just further your career?

No comments: